Warming up before any physical activity and stretching after is very important and the best way to avoid and prevent injuries and muscle soreness.
- The best time to stretch is after exercise once the body is warm.
- Stretch each side of your body evenly and carefully. Do not overstretch or bounce.
- Stretching should never cause pain, especially joint pain. If it does, you are stretching too far, and you need to reduce the stretch so that it doesn’t hurt. Mild discomfort or a mild pulling sensation is normal.
- Aim for a balanced whole body stretching routine.
- Avoid “locking” your joints into place when you straighten them during stretches.
- The stretch you like the least is probably the one you need to do the most.